Terms and Conditions
These terms and conditions will apply to all contracts in respect of which you have requested us to arrange for the carriage of goods. You acknowledge and accept that you have read, understood and agreed to these terms and conditions prior to booking a move with us.
“us”, “our” or “we” means Hire a Mover Pty Limited (ACN 163 150 749).
“you” or “your” means the authorised person booking the carriage of goods or similar services to be carried out by us.
“goods” means any good or item which you have requested to be carried or arranged to be carried by us.
2. Removal Services
- We are not common carriers and accept no liability as such.
- We reserve the right to refuse to quote for the carriage of goods for any particular reason and for carriage of any goods or classes of goods at our discretion.
- You acknowledge and accept that any pick up/delivery time or date advised by us is indicative only and is not guaranteed to be met. If there is a pick up/ delivery time or date which in our opinion cannot be reasonably met, then we reserve the right to alter that time or date at any time before the commencement of the move.
- Due to OH&S issues, we expect your items to be of a standard cleanliness and we have the right to refuse to move items considered by our movers as dirty. All your items should be put into boxes and the boxes be suitable for moving. We will not move boxes that are not strong enough to carry the items that have been placed in them.
- If our removalists believe there are safety risks or the work being requested is not suitable for our removalists and/or equipment we have the right to refuse to undertake the work.
Local Moves (within the same state)
- Our prices quoted in the booking confirmation are per hour rates and are charged in 15-minute increments. Please note that the prices are not a fixed price but an hourly rate. Prices quoted include GST.
- Our rates start from the time loading commences until the completion of the move at the final destination address.
- A flag fall (travelling cost) may be charged on moves to cover our travel expenses travelling to and from the move. This fee will be quoted to you prior to your move.
- All moves incur a 2-hour minimum charge.
- Any waste disposal fees incurred during the move will be charged to you.
- All moving estimates given verbally (i.e. over the phone) cannot be considered a fixed cost. The minimum fee is not a fixed costing of the move.
- We provide a quote for a number of trucks and removalists which is based on the information you have provided over phone and or email us about your property. This does not guarantee the work will be completed within a certain timeframe or that additional resources may not be required on the day if our removalists believe it is necessary to complete the work in a given timeframe.
3. Specialist Items
Please notify us if you have any of the following items:
- Double Door or Commercial Refrigerator;
- Piano or Organs (we do not move grand pianos or pianolas);
- Items made from marble;
- Glass Table tops or cabinets;
- Pool or Snooker Tables (we do not move commercial pool tables or any heavier than approximately 350kg);
- Large Pot Plants that have not been cleaned;
- Animal enclosures, fish tanks, etc.;
- Any items heavier than 80kg;
- Any items larger than 3 metres in length;
- Sensitive and/or delicate items such as fishing rods.
We reserve the right not to move any of the above listed items if we were not informed of such items at the time of the booking. There may also be additional charges for moving any of the above items.
4. Your Obligations and Warranties
- You warrant that any information that you have provided to us, and on which we have reasonably relied in assessing any quotation or estimate of the resources necessary to carry out the work, is accurate.
- You warrant that, in entering into this agreement, you are either the owner of the goods, or the authorised agent of the owner of the goods.
- You must ensure that you or a person acting on your behalf is present at all times when the goods are loaded or unloaded. You agree that we will not be held responsible or liable for goods not collected or any loss of or damage to goods if you or a person acting on your behalf is not present, for any amount of time, during the loading and/or unloading of the goods.
- You should inspect all the goods as they are unloaded and/or relocated. If there is any loss of or damage to goods that you consider to have been caused by us, please ensure you notify our office no later than 48 hours after completion of the job. Unless you advise us within 48 hours of completion of he job, we will not be responsible or liable for any such alleged loss or damage.
- You must sign the job sheet on completion of the move. If you fail to sign the job sheet on completion of the move it will taken as if you were not present at loading/unloading and that no loss or damage has been identified and therefore we will have no liability as detailed under the points above.
- You warrant that the goods do not include any firearms or goods which are or may become of a dangerous, corrosive, highly combustible, explosive, damaging or noxious nature nor likely to encourage any vermin or pest unless you have disclosed to us in writing the presence and nature of any such items prior to them being made available to us for loading or storage. We may refuse to remove or store such items. If we discover any article or substance of this nature after the goods have been received by us, we may take any reasonable action, including destruction or disposal, as we may think fit without incurring any liability to you.
- You must, prior to the commencement of the removal or storage, give to us written notice of any goods which are of a fragile or brittle nature and which are not readily apparent as such, or which comprise jewellery, precious objects, works of art, money, collections of items or precision equipment in any case having a value in excess of $1,000.
- You must ensure, to the best of your ability, that all goods to be removed (other than goods being removed from store) or stored are uplifted by us and that none is taken in error.
- We expect you to be polite and not rude to our movers, we reserve the right to not complete a job if you or the people in your property are not acting in a professional manner.
We will not be bound to deliver the goods except to you or a person authorised in writing by you to receive the goods. If we cannot deliver the goods either because there is no authorised person there to receive them on our arrival, or because we cannot gain access to the premises, or for any other reason beyond our control, we will be entitled to unload the goods into a warehouse, and will be entitled to charge an additional amount for storage and for the subsequent re-delivery of the goods. If this happens, we will endeavour to contact you to ascertain whether you have any alternate instructions.
6. Cancellation Policy
- Local moves (i.e. moves within the same state) cancelled or rescheduled at least 48 hours prior to estimated pick up time will incur no fee and your deposit will be refunded.
- For local moves, the deposit will be automatically forfeited for any move cancelled or rescheduled within 48 hours of the estimated pick up time.
- Any move cancelled or rescheduled within 24 hours of the estimated pick up time will incur the minimum 2-hour charge. This will be charged onto the same credit card you paid with the deposit with unless you provide an alternative credit card at the time of cancellation.
- If we have to cancel your move for any reason your deposit will be refunded.
7. Payment and Deposits
Local Moves (within the same state)
- A $50 deposit is required to secure your local booking. The deposit is non-refundable subject to the applicable Cancellation Policy in clause 6 above.
- You must pay the full amount due (less the deposit) (“amount due”) on completion of the move either by cash or credit card. You must ensure that you have the payment available in either cash or credit card.
- If you do decide to pay by credit card, you expressly authorise us to process the credit card payment for the amount due (on the credit card provided by you, or if no credit card is provided, then the credit card used for the original deposit) within one (1) business day of completion of the move regardless of whether there is any dispute in relation to the move. To avoid any doubt, even if there is a dispute for any reason, you must still pay the amount due on completion of the move and you expressly authorise us to process the credit card payment for the amount due. Any dispute must be resolved after the completion of the move via the dispute resolution provisions in clause 16.
- If you are not present at the completion of the move you expressly authorise us to process the credit card payment for the amount due on the credit card used for the original deposit.
- If payment of the remaining amount is not received or is unable to be processed within seven (7) days of completion of the move then the collection of the amount due will be passed to a debt collection agency and you will be subject to the debt collection agency fees.
- Additional charges: some of our movers carry bubble wrap and shrink wrap and offer these services as additional services to the normal removal service. If you request bubble wrapping of some of your products or shrink wrapping of your products these will incur an additional charge which will be discussed with you by the removalist prior to them undertaking this work. This amount will also be written on the job sheet and charged upon completion of the move.
- Without limitation and at our Hire A Mover’s dsicretion, upon unloading your goods, Hire A Mover reserves the right to withhold some of your goods in the truck until the final payment has been made.
- As noted above we accept either cash (where applicable) or credit card as forms of payment. Cheques are not accepted unless pre authorised with us.
- We accept Visa or MasterCard but we do not accept American Express.
- The customer may not withhold any part of the amount due or additional charges.
- If we have arranged for your goods to be moved into storage, your credit card will be charged for the removal services once the unloading has been finished at the storage depot for the time and travel fee involved. You expressly authorise us to charge your credit card and sign off on the time it took to complete this work if you are not present at the time of unloading at the storage depot.
- Recovery for legal costs. You are liable for any additional cost(s) incurred by us, as a result of having to recover overdue or outstanding monies from you.
- Goods held in lieu of payment. We reserve the right to seize or hold the goods and where you fail to pay any amount due, dispose of or sell goods in lieu of payment. We may dispose of goods in lieu of payment after a period of fourteen (14) days from the completion of the move.
- If your goods are in our storage facility or in storage under our arrangment, we will not provide any access under any circumstances to your goods until you have paid for the removal services and storage services in full.
8. Vehicle Sizes
- We endeavour to always quote the correct vehicle for your move. However, our decisions are based on the information we are provided by you over the phone or when you completed our online enquiry form. We will not be liable if the truck provided is too small for a single move and multiple moves are required.
- Please advise us of any loading docks height clearance, our large trucks have a height minimum of 3.6m and our smaller trucks a height minimum of 3m.
9. Method of Carriage and Subcontractors
- We will be entitled to carry the goods by any reasonable route (having regard to all the circumstances including the nature and destination of any other goods being carried on the vehicle) any by any reasonable means.
- We reserve the right, at our discretion, and without notice to you to subcontract all or part of the carriage of goods, and as a result of such, you indemnify us for any delay or damage due to any act or omission of the subcontractor, its employees or agents.
- Any provisions in these conditions which limit our liability also apply to our employees and our subcontractors and their employees.
10. Insurance & Loss/Damage to Property
- Hire A Mover has Goods in Transit insurance as well as Public Liability Insurance. Your goods are covered under our insurance if our removalists are negligent.
- For instances when our removalists are not negligent, insurance is highly recommended by us and you acknowledge and accept sole responsibility to ensure that your goods are adequately insured for loading, unloading and transportation by organising relevant insurance cover. Insurance can be obtained by contacting your current insurance provider or Removals Insurance Australia who are our trusted insurance brokers and are able to arrange insurance for your goods while they are in transit.
- Although we will take all the necessary care to ensure that your goods arrive safely, there may be circumstances where we are not responsible or liable for any loss or damage to your goods that occur during a move in accordance with clause 12.
11. Risk and Title
- All risk in the goods will pass to you on delivery.
- All of your goods received by us will be subject to general lien for any monies owed by you to us as a result of this Contract.
- Title in the goods will not pass to you until we have been paid in full for the move.
12. Loss or Damage – Private Removals and Storage
- These terms and conditions are in addition to any other rights or remedies that you may have under the Australian Consumer law. Those additional remedies remain to the extent that they cannot be excluded. To the extent that they can be excluded they are. Where they cannot be excluded then such rights and remedies are modified to the extent permitted by law.
- You must notify our office in writing within 48 hours of completion of the job if there is any damage/loss to your goods. Failure to notify us within this period means we will not be responsible or liable for any such alleged loss or damage.
- If the goods sustain damage by reason of defective or inadequate packaging, packing or unpacking, and the packing or unpacking (as the case may be) was not undertaken by us or our subcontractor, we will not be liable for any loss or damage to the goods. It is your responsibility to ensure your goods are properly packaged and protected in a suitable manner for transport. Hire A Mover takes no responsibility for goods damaged during transport that were not adequately protected using packaging.
- For minor cosmetic damage such as marks, scuffs, scratches and dents, Hire A Mover will pay $50 per item damaged.
- Certain goods (including without limitation electrical and mechanical appliances, computer equipment, scientific instruments, musical instruments and old or self assembled furniture) are inherently susceptible to suffer damage or disorder upon removal. Unless that damage or disorder results from the want of due care and skill on our part, we will not be liable for any loss or damage to the goods.
- As per clause 4 above, any claim for loss or damage of goods under these terms are to be notified by you to us prior to completion of the move and signing off of the job sheet otherwise we will not be liable for any loss or damage to goods.
- We are not liable for any damage not caused by us or which results from any cause beyond our control.
- Notwithstanding anything contained in these terms we will only be responsible or liable for loss or damage to goods where such loss or damage can be proven (without reasonable doubt) to have been caused by our negligence.
- If an item is damaged and is to be replaced, if Hire A Mover pay you financially for this, Hire A Mover will collect and take ownership of the damaged item.
- In any claim for loss or damage under this clause, any estimate of the value of the goods which you have provided to us, whether for the purposes of insurance or otherwise, will be prima facie evidence that the total value of the goods did not exceed that estimate at the time of loss or damage.
- Notwithstanding anything else contained in these terms and conditions our liability is limited to repairing the damaged goods to as near the condition as prior to the damage occurring as possible or replacing lost goods with the same or similar good. These repairs or replacements will be arranged by us. No responsibility is accepted or any other losses whatsoever including any consequential loss or loss of value as a result of repairs or replacement of goods.
- In lieu of repairing goods we have the option to compensate you, by paying to you the value of the damaged goods prior to the damage occurring. If the value cannot be agreed on between us it will be assessed by an independent valuer chosen between us, and if we cannot agree, chosen by the President for the time being of the New South Wales Law Society. The value of determination will be final and binding on the parties. The costs of the valuer will be paid by the party whose value differs most from the valuers.
- Where an item is part of a pair or set of items, repair or compensation will extend only to the proportionate part of the pair or set of items.
- If you or someone on-site that is not one of our movers, assists with the loading or unloading of your goods into or out of our truck, you may not be covered by our insurance policies.
13. Loss or Damage – Commercial Removals and Storage
- Application:If the move is required by you for the purposes of a business, trade, profession or occupation in which you are engaged, the following conditions of this clause will apply.
- Negligence:We will only be liable for loss or damage resulting from our negligence which can be proven (without reasonable doubt) and in any event that liability will be limited to $100 per item or package, or $1,000 in respect of all goods moved or stored under this agreement (whichever is the lesser).
- For minor cosmetic damage such as marks, scuffs, scratches and dents, Hire A Mover will pay $50 per item damaged.
- Claims:In circumstances where we are liable under the above subclause, notice of the claim must be given by you to us as soon as possible, and written notice must be given within 14 days of the date of delivery or, in the case of loss, the date upon which the goods would ordinarily have been delivered, failing which we will have no further liability.
14. Packing Materials
- All packaging materials are at an additional cost to the client. Please organise your boxes directly with Hire A Box either over the phone on 1300 858 446 or on the websitehireabox.com.au.
- Our removalists will not collect used butchers paper or rubbish. It is the clients’ duty to dispose of these.
- As a special offer to our valued customers, if you move with Hire A Mover and buy or hire boxes and/or ancillary items from Hire A Box, you can get a 10% rebate on the hire and sale items of Hire A Box from Hire A Mover after your move.
15. Packing and Unpacking Services – Hire A Packer
- Hire A Mover offers packing and unpacking services under the brand name Hire A Packer as part of its’ complete moving service. These services are available at a minimum of 2 persons for 4 hours. The normal hourly rate per person per hour is $50 including GST. Each booking is a minimum of 2 packers/unpackers for $400 inc. GST.
- There is no guarantee as to the amount of packing/unpacking work undertaken in the specified time. Generally each packers can pack/unpack 4-6 boxes per hour. Should you request additional hours on the day, this will be billed to your credit card at the time of requesting the additional hours.
- It is your responsibility to ensure you have adequate boxes and packaging material (we recommend 1 kg of butchers paper for every 4 boxes). In a typical 4 hour session, you should have at least 30 boxes available (a combination of book cartons and tea chest boxes) along with packaging tape.
- If bookings are cancelled within 24 hours of the booked start time, there will be no refund on the payment made, you will still pay the full rate. Should our packers be unable to gain access to the property on the day or there is some form of dispute/disagreement on-site with the parties inside the house, the packers will leave the property and you will still be charged the full rate.
- Hire A Packer nor Hire A Mover will not be responsible for any damage or loss of items related to our packing or unpacking services. If you have any jewellery or valuable items of concern to you, we recommend you pack and store these items and not have our packers pack them for you.
16. Dispute Resolution
- In the event of any dispute between you and us in relation to the move, if we are unable to settle the dispute by good faith negotiations within 14 days, then such dispute will immediately be referred by the Australian Commercial Dispute Centre (“ACDC”) in Sydney and conducted in accordance with the ACDC rules for expert determination operating at the time of the refer of the dispute. The determination of the ACDC (including any determination as to the payment of its costs) will be final and binding upon the disputing parties.
17. Storage Services
- You as the “storer” acknowledge that Hire A Mover “we”, “us” the “operator” will provide storage in accordance with the following terms and conditions.
- You have knowledge of the goods that are stored in the space
- You agree that we the operator do not have knowledge of the goods that are stored with us;
- We the operator do not take possession of the goods and is not a common carrier, bailee or warehouseman of the goods
- We the operator have the right to subcontract our storage space and for the purpose of this agreement, you’re agreement, terms and conditions and dealings are directly with Hire A Mover and not any third party storage company that we have the right to use.
- You the storer warrant that you are the owner of the goods and that any goods stored with us are not hazardous, illegal, stolen, inflammable, explosive, environmentally harmful or risk to any property or person.
- Upon proceeding with our services you agree to pay the first months’ storage fee upfront on the day your goods are moved into storage, with subsequent payments due on the monthly anniversary date of the date your goods moved into storage. Unless otherwise notified, you agree for those charges to be charged onto the same credit card with which you paid for the removal service.
- The storage fee may be varied at the operator’s discretion on one month’s notice
- The storer may access their goods by providing at least 24 hours notice in writing, this access will only be provided during normal business hours.
- The storer is solely responsible for securing their goods using a padlock
- The operator may refuse the storer access to their goods if any amount is outstanding including both removal service fees and storage service fees
- The goods are stored at the sole risk and responsibility of the storer, including in relation to the risk of theft of the goods and/or damage to or deterioration of the goods for any reason, including flood, fire, leakage or overflow of water, mildew, heat, spillage of material from any other space, removal or delivery of the goods, pests or vermin.
- The storer acknowledges and agrees to comply with all relevant laws, including all legislatin, acts, ordinances, regulations, by-laws and orders as are or may be applicable to the use of the space, the goods and the manner in which they are to be stored. Liability for any breach of such laws rests absolutely with the storer and includes any costs resulting from such a breach.
- The operator may take any action it believes to be necessary if it has reason to believe that the storer is in breach of the above clause including access, inspection of your goods, termination of your agreement, removal and or sale of your goods without notice. In addition we have the right to notify the authorities of any breach.
- The operator also has the right to access and or remove your goods if in the operator’s opinion there is an emergency, an obligation by law or any threat to person or property.
- The operator has the right to access your goods within 30 days not failing to make payment on amount due.
- Either party may terminate the storage agreement by giving 14 days notice, if this occurs the storer must make full payment up to the date of termination and must remove all their goods by the termination date.
- Any goods that remain in the space 7 days after the termination date will be deemed to be abandoned and may be seized and may be sold or disposed or by the operator.
- In the event that any storage fees are unpaid for a period of 30 days, then the operator may terminiate your agreement without notice and enter your space by force or otherwise and without limitation to any other remedies it has, the operator may sieze and then, in its discretion, may sell and/or dispose of any goods in the space.
- Notices about the storage service by the operator will be provided to you via email and or SMS. The storer must notify the operator if there is any change to the email address or mobile phone number initially provided.
- If required by the operator, the parties must endeavour to settle any dispute in connection with the storage service by mediation conducted by an independent mediator.
- The storer cannot assign the storage agreement to another party
- The operator may in its absolute discretion and at any time require the storer to transfer their goods to another space within the facility
- The storer agrees that to the extent not prohibited by law, the operator shall not be liable to the storer under the agreement, at law, in equity, under statute or otherwise for loss of business opportunity, loss of profit, loss of goodwill, loss of contracts, or damages payable by the storer in respect of this agreement or the storer’s goods.